About Me

I am a student at GCE Lab School in Chicago. This is my blog to show all my work.

Pages

Friday, October 27, 2017

My Heroes (It Might Be a Fish)

For our final unit of our humanities class Stories, we learned about the hero's journey. We had to tush through this final unit because we spent a lot of time on Unit 2. In this unit, we learned about the hero's journey.  That was most of what we learned because we didn't have much time to do anything else. For this action project, we were asked to think of a real-life hero and a fictional hero. We then made a slideshow showing 8 of the stages of their own hero's journeys. We then compared and contrasted them.

The hero's journey is a cycle that is used in many books and movies. This is basically the steps that a hero takes when they go on an adventure. The first step is the call to adventure. This is when the hero is called to go on their journey. The second step is the supernatural aid. Not all heroes have a supernatural aid. Real life heroes also can follow the hero's journey.  In most cases of real-life heroes, the supernatural is not involved. The third step is crossing the threshold. This is when the hero goes to the unknown world or sets off on their journey.  The fourth step is the mentor. The mentor is someone who helps the hero along the way. They could give them advice, or follow them along on the journey and support them The fifth step is trials and tribulations. This is when your hero is on their journey and is encountering challenges and meeting new people. The sixth step is the abyss. The abyss is when all hope is lost. The hero might die and be reborn, or it could seem like the challenge is impossible. The seventh step is atonement. This is when the hero reflects on what went wrong. This may be the time when they realize their strength and keep going. The eighth and final step is the return. This is when the hero returns home with the stories of what they have done. Their home might be a better place because of what they have done.

Slashme. Heroesjourney.svg. (2009). Wikimedia Commons. 27, Oct 2017. Web.

My 2 heroes are Marlin from Finding Nemo, and Mitch Grassi from Pentatonix. I chose these 2 heroes because they both have a personal connection to me. Marlin is the hero from my favorite childhood movie, "Finding Nemo." Mitch is my favorite member of my favorite band, Pentatonix.  Mitch and Marlin may sound very different, but they are actually quite similar. They both set out on adventures with aspirations of success. They both are successful in their endeavors, and they both set out on their journey for someone they love. Even though one hero is real, and one is fictional, They both are heroes in their own unique ways.


I enjoyed this project. I thought it was challenging trying to come up with heroes. I went through a few different options before I settled on these 2. I finally chose them because they both had pretty clear connections to the hero's journey. I think the most rewarding part of this project was seeing it come together as the last action project of  my class Stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marine Biodiversity Literature Review

It's officially my last action project at GCE! I've done over 80 action projects and here is my last. This project is for my last Se...