About Me

I am a student at GCE Lab School in Chicago. This is my blog to show all my work.

Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Nemo's Frozen Adventure

In my elective class, Stage Chemistry, we learn all about what it takes to put on a play and how this correlates mathematically and scientifically. We went to see a play at the Goodman Theater called "Uncle Vanya." Before we saw that play we did an interactive workshop with our classmates to make a scale set of "Uncle Vanya" and tape it out on the floor. For this first action project we were asked to think of a production we would like to put on and where we would like to put it on. I chose my favorite childhood movie: Finding Nemo, and I chose to put it on ice at my local rink where I skate. We then had to make a scale model of our location and pick out six amenities to make micro level blueprints of. We also had to write about each of our amenities and how they would serve to our actors, staff or patrons.

Reflection: In The end I thought this project was one of the most challenging I've ever done. Definitely the most work intensive. However I did like it a lot because it was hands on and we got to use some of our artistic skills. I thought the most challenging part for me at least was making the MACRO level blueprint to scale. I struggled getting the measurements because I measured from a floor plan of the building and then put that into scale. I got a lot of measurements wrong and sometimes has to compromise. I got over these challenges by getting support from my teacher, peers, and of course the internet. My favorite part of this project was drawing and designing out all the pages.

Here are my If Then statements:
  • If I have less more comfortable seating, more people will enjoy it and come
  • If I have no stands for my light and sound equipment, then I will need to set it up on something else.
  • If I have more spacious dressing rooms performers will be happier and more willing to work
  • If I have a big backstage then performers can warm up more.
  • If I have a big stage, performers will have more space to do tricks.
  • If I have cheap food at my concession stands, I will attract more customers.
  • If I advertise my merchandise table, then more customers will come.
Here are my comparisons to Goodman's Albert Stage:
My stage = 12920 ft^2 Goodman = 4000 ft^2 Percentage = 323%
My audience = 698 people Goodman = 856 people Percentage = 81.5%
My Backstage = 2720 ft^2 Goodman = 4200 ft^2 Percentage = 154.4%
My Sound + Light Booth = 125 ft^2 Goodman = 350 ft^2 Percentage = 41.6%
My Dressing Room = 528 ft^2 Goodman = 156 ft^2 Percentage = 29.5%
My Concessions = 138 ft^2 Goodman = 200 ft^2  Percentage = 144%

Dressing Room CM (2017)

Props CM (2017)

Backstage CM (2017)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Marine Biodiversity Literature Review

It's officially my last action project at GCE! I've done over 80 action projects and here is my last. This project is for my last Se...