About Me

I am a student at GCE Lab School in Chicago. This is my blog to show all my work.

Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Can I build a Water Filter?

Could I build a water filter? This was the question I asked myself after I learned what we were doing for our 2nd action project. In unit 2 we learned about the science of water and the water cycle. e put our skills to the test and set out on this action project. The purpose of this assignment was to focus on the science of water and the part of the water cycle called infiltration. (This is when water soaks into the ground.) We also learned about pH levels so we did pH testing to see the levels that our water filters produced. I learned about structure the most. It was very hard to figure out how to make the filter structurally sound and how to suspend it so the water can drip form the filter to the collecting container. I am most proud of the water that came out after it was filtered. I used river water that I turned even more dirty and once it was ran through the filter it was crystal clear!

I think that I probably could survive but probably not thrive. My water filter works very well, I didn't drink it for the experiment but I'm sure in a dire situation I would drink it. I might thrive though. If I filter enough water I possibly could thrive, although I'm not sure.

Here is my lab report:

I used the following materials to create my water filters.
  • Vinegar Container
  • Beaker
  • Coffee Filters
  • Tape
  • Sand
  • Fish filter material
  • Gravel
  • Carbon
  • Rocks
  • Cups
  • pH tester

I brought the vinegar container from home, and my friend got the materials for us. I also took advantage of the materials my teacher brought us. I also used a beaker from the school and the rest of the materials.

This is my process for creating my water filter:


My step by step process was first cutting the bottom off the vinegar container, then placing a few coffee filters and taping them to the spout. I then placed the spout in the beaker to hold it in place. I cleaned all the materials and poured sand into the container. I then put a layer of fish filter, then a layer of carbon, then a layer of fish filter then a layer of gravel, then a layer of fish filter, then a layer of rocks, and one final layer of fish filter. Once that was all together leveled out the container on the beaker, and it was done.

This is how my water filter works:

It works by layers of different materials of all different sizes, each getting smaller as the water infiltrates. In between each layer of material is a layer of fish filter to make sure the materials don't mix and the water gets a little better filtered. At the very end there are coffee filters to keep the sand in the bottle and give it one last filter so the sand didn't get into the final water. It works because of the infiltration. The water soaks into the different layers and the contaminants are filtered out. I chose this design because it was the only container I could find. I had to find a way to suspend it so the water could drip down, so I decided to put the spout into the beaker.


My water filter is inspired by the ground. I used natural materials because I didn’t have access to a lot of artificial materials besides the fish filters. My water filter works the same as groundwater filtration because of the gradual decrease of size in the filter materials. I know that in nature the materials get larger as you go down but I decided to do it the other way for structural integrity.

To access the water after it is filtered all you have to do is to carefully lift the filter off the beaker and pour the water out of the beaker.

This is a sketch of my water filter

CM (2016) Filter Sketch
This is my water description and the pH before and after.

I used river water and made it even more dirty my going outside and adding dirt, mud, and leaves to
make it filthy. After I ran it through it was crystal clear. Before, the water smelled acidic and dirty, and after, the water smelled still a little metallic but otherwise normal. Before the pH was: 3.8 and after the pH was: 4.0

pH Scale
Acidic Before After Neutral Basic
0-----------3.8--4---------7-------------14
                              

I did not taste the water as the water I chose to filter was river water which is not safe to drink. I also dirtied the water before filtering it so i could really test the limits of my filter.

Observations 

I noticed how clear the water was when I ran the water through the filter, I was very surprised.

This is my logarithmic equation to describe before and after filtration.10^-3.8 = .0038 hydrogen ion concentration. before filtering 10^-4 = .0001 hydrogen ion concentration After filtering


Photographs

CM (2016) Before Sample

CM (2016) Water After

CM (2016) pH  testing after

CM (2016) pH testing before

CM (2016) Filter 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marine Biodiversity Literature Review

It's officially my last action project at GCE! I've done over 80 action projects and here is my last. This project is for my last Se...