About Me

I am a student at GCE Lab School in Chicago. This is my blog to show all my work.

Pages

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Coaching Skating 2016 - 2017

I never really thought of myself as someone who could ever teach kids. I have never really babysat and I have only one younger sibling. Let's just say my experience is lacking. In the fall, in the beginning of the skating season, I was asked by the head of the rink to become a coach. The rink was in need of a new coach and they probably wanted cheap labor, which I am. I started in October and I was asked to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Thursdays, I would teach 3 classes and on Tuesdays, I would teach 1 class. My first session I taught the little kids for the first 2 classes. I would then supervise a free skate and then teach an advanced class. I was often rotated throughout the year to provide additional help. As I got more advanced as a skater I started needing additional help with my more advanced jumps. I talked to my supervisor and I switched out teaching my third class for an axel class for me. For my Tuesday class, I taught one of the most basic levels and then went to skate my class. When the ice show time had come around I had been working for about 7 months. I was a feature performer, which meant I was one of the most advanced skaters in the show, and therefore got to do a solo. Part of this meant I had to bring out the littlest kids. The most basic levels in the Learn to Skate program are for tots under 5. These classes are called "Snowplow Sam 1-4." Each number is a different level with 1 being the most basic. They were split in half with the Sam 1+2 kids doing the limbo, and the Sam 3+4 kids doing the hokey pokey. I was there from day 1 helping choreograph and lead the routines. The kids did well, the bigger kids caught onto it quicker and really liked performing in the show. In the end, I have made a lot of new little friends with this job. I also have learned how to work with kids. I think this connects back to my learning at GCE because I have taken leadership, and have taught people how to do things they didn't know how to do. If you want to learn more about classes or sign up go to: Learn To Skate USA.com If you want to view my hours of teaching, click here

CM Put Your Right Hand In (2017)

CM  Do The Hokey Pokey (2017)

CM Circle Up (2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marine Biodiversity Literature Review

It's officially my last action project at GCE! I've done over 80 action projects and here is my last. This project is for my last Se...