About Me

I am a student at GCE Lab School in Chicago. This is my blog to show all my work.

Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Math Problem Solving: My Experience

As the winter term is wrapping up I am reflecting on how chaotic it was. This term was much more stressful than Fall Term and I am extremely happy to be done in 2 weeks. I still have 2 action projects for my core classes but I am so excited to be done.

For the Winter Term we decided to switch it up as far as Advisory goes. Advisory was the 45 minutes between lunch and 3rd period. In the Fall and 1st elective term we had Advisory which was different classes for each grade. For the Freshman it was Digital Media, GCE 101, Community Circle, and Student Teacher Conferences. I personally liked everything about advisory and didn't have any problem with it. Other people hated it, so for our Winter Term we went with something called Workshops. These were mixed grade classes in which 2 of them we got to pick, and 2 of them we were assigned based on our grades. The only thing I like about these is mixed grades.

For one of my workshops I got put into math problem solving. This was a class that met on Mondays and was for more advanced math students. I don't really like math, but I am pretty good at it. For Math Problem solving I chose to focus on something that I like, but wouldn't overwhelm me so I chose quadratic functions and graphing parabolas. I had done a lot of this stuff back in 6th or 7th grade so it had been a while, and I would do more challenging problems. I read up on the topic and did some Kahn Academy and practiced my skills and soon found out that I was doing things that were too easy for me. I realized this issue way to late though. My and my teachers idea was to build a catapult and launch things form it and then graph them. Now we only had 5 meetings ever. I never got to the catapult because of the limited time. If I had to do this again I would pick something more challenging and I might want to use my time more wisely.

In the end I wasn't super happy with this course. I found it kind of pointless since we had to teach ourselves and I didn't really get a lot out of it.

Sean McEntee, Maths, 2011, Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marine Biodiversity Literature Review

It's officially my last action project at GCE! I've done over 80 action projects and here is my last. This project is for my last Se...